Golden Boy says these names are being considered for Canelo Alvarez

Golden Boy says these names are being considered for Canelo Alvarez

By Daniel Zaldivar

June 6, 2016


Canelo Alvarez at his media workout in San Diego, CA last November before his fight against Miguel Cotto. Photo: Harvey Feliciano - Z-BoxingNews/FrontProof Media

Canelo Alvarez at his media workout in San Diego, CA last November before his fight against Miguel Cotto. Photo: Harvey Feliciano - Z-BoxingNews/FrontProof Media

Saul "Canelo" Alvarez recently relinquished his WBC middleweight title and has been feeling the backlash in regards to potentially fighting Gennady Golovkin. 

Alvarez, 25, knocked out Amir Khan last month in a bout that had an agreed upon weight of 155 pounds. The international superstar is now the biggest draw in the sport after the retirements of Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao. 

According to Golden Boy Promotions' Vice President Eric Gomez (via RingTV.com's Michael Woods), they're a few names in the mix to land the next fight, which is likely to be in September, with Alvarez.

Golovkin, BJ Saunders, Liam Smith, Shawn Porter, Cotto, Danny Jacobs and (Floyd) Mayweather Jr. all are being considered.
— Eric Gomez, VP Golden Boy via RingTV.com

Porter and Jacobs should be the most surprising names to stand out as they are prominently Al Haymon/PBC fighters. As the boxing world is well aware, Haymon has not necessarily been on good terms with other promoters, however, the recent lawsuit settlement with Top Rank, and Khan (a Haymon represented fighter) making the fight with Alvarez opened up a window of possibility to see more cross-promotion fights. 

Even though Top Rank is no longer in court with Haymon, Golden Boy, who also filed a similar lawsuit against the founder of PBC, is still tied up in the legal world. But, Oscar De La Hoya is seemingly still open to making possible matches with Haymon fighters after the recent Canelo-Khan. 

Excluding the choice of his [Alvarez} next opponent, the weight at which he will fight will also be an integral part of the announcement. Will he move up to the official middleweight limit of 160 pounds and take on a fighter such as WBA middleweight champion Jacobs? Or will he come back down to junior middleweight (154 pounds) and take a fight with a fighter like Smith, who also holds a [WBO] title at his division. 


Daniel Zaldivar is a boxing contributor for Frontproof Media & Page2sports.com. He is the founder and CEO of Z-BoxingNews (a partner with Frontproof Media), a YouTube channel that delivers the latest news, interviews, fighter workouts, & analysis within the sport. Check out the Z-BoxingNews YouTube channel HERE. Also follow on Twitter @Z_BoxingNews

(Feature photo: Will Hart/HBO)

Deontay Wilder to fight Chris Arreola after cancellation of Povetkin bout

Deontay Wilder to fight Chris Arreola after cancellation of Povetkin bout

VIDEO: Max Kellerman on Canelo vacating title

VIDEO: Max Kellerman on Canelo vacating title