Invicta FC Adds New Talent
Brazilian Strawweight Virna Jandiroba Highlights Talent Influx
Roster additions made to flyweight, strawweight and atom weight divisions
Kansas City, Mo. – Invicta Fighting Championships today announced the addition of nine athletes to its current roster, highlighted by the signing of undefeated Brazilian strawweight Virna "Carcará" Jandiroba (11-0). The 28-year-old submission artist holds victories over UFC veterans Lisa Ellis and Ericka Almeida.
Six flyweights will join Invicta FC and the sport's deepest 125-pound division: Mara "Kunoichici" Romero Borella (10-4, 1 NC), Chan-Mi Jeon (5-0), Bárbara Acioly (4-0), Karina Rodríguez (4-2), Cheri Muraski (3-0) and Tracy Cortez.
- Italy's Borella is one of the top-ranked flyweights in Western Europe, winning four of her last five fights.
- At just 19 years old, Jeon joins Invicta having already amassed five career victories – including four knockouts – and captured South Korean promotion ALL FC's flyweight championship.
- Since debuting professionally last year, Acioly has experienced early success in her native Brazil and continued that momentum with two wins on the American MMA scene.
- Rodríguez arrives from Mexico after picking up four wins for Xtreme Kombat, battling elite competition like former Invicta FC strawweight contender Alexa Grasso.
- An experienced fighter training out of Colorado, Muraski has followed up an impressive amateur career with three wins as a professional, including a second-round submission of Invicta FC veteran Shannon Sinn.
- Tuff-N-Uff flyweight champion Cortez will get her first professional fight experience inside the Invicta cage after going 6-0 as an amateur.
"There are a lot of eyeballs on the 125-pound weight class right now," said Invicta FC President Shannon Knapp. "We have a card coming up on May 20 that showcases some of the best flyweights in the world.
"Being able to add such a talented group of athletes to that flyweight mix will only push the entire division further. We're expecting to see great match-ups right away, while also looking ahead to the exciting opportunities our younger prospects will have as they develop here at Invicta."
Jillian "Lionheart" DeCoursey and Ashley Medina, owning amateur records of 8-1 and 4-1 respectively, have been signed to compete at atomweight.
All nine athletes are expected to debut for the promotion in 2017.
For more information on Invicta Fight Championships, visit invictafc.com.