Ray Cooper III Delivers Payback at PFL 3
PFL 3 has come to a close and now with Professional Fighters League in full motion it is clear the time for change in the sport of MMA has come. One of the most well known welterweights in MMA was handed a loss by an opponent, who is the son of an older opponent while some fighters are using the PFL to reboot their journey in the sport. PFL 3 did not carry the finish rate the first two events did but overall it has proven to be the league for finishers.
By now fans know this is the rebranded WSOF and that promotion produced the Justin Gaethje’s and Marlon Moraes level fighters that are bringing excitement to the UFC. The PFL is the second coming of top level talent and the main event proved it when Ray Cooper III handed Jake Shields a dominant loss in round two of the main event in Washington D.C.
Not only did Cooper advance by picking up five points towards the playoffs, but he avenged a loss his father suffered to Shields which was dually rewarding for the powerful young competitor. Cooper told Frontproof Media he was ready for what Shields was bringing to the fight as his game has not changed. He acknowledged his skill and dangerous groundwork and just chose not to engage him there. By round two Cooper had landed enough damage on Shields that when he went down the referee jumped in to stop the fight.
The next event will take place in Long Island, New York in the Nassau Veteran Memorial Coliseum July 19 and will feature many of the returning fighters from PFL 1 looking to add more points to bring them closer to their million dollar grand prize.
See the full results below:
- Ray Cooper III (5 pts.) def. Jake Shields (0 pts.) by TKO (strikes) at 2:09 R2
- Pavlo Kusch (5 pts.) def. Abubakar Nurmagomedov (0 pts.) by submission (rear naked-choke) at 1:23 R2
- Rick Story (3 pts.) def. Yuri Villefort (0 pts.) by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27 and 30-27)
- Shamil Gamzatov (3 pts.) def. Eddie Gordon (0 pts.) by unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28 and 29-28)
- John Howard (5 pts.) vs. Gasan Umalatov (0 pts.) by submission (rear naked-choke) at 2:59 R2
- Magomed Kerimov (6 pts.) def. Herman Terrado (0 pts.) by TKO (technical submission RNC) at 4:54 1R
- Joao Zeferino (6 pts.) def. Paul Bradley (0 pts.) by knockout at 1:58 1R
- Bruno Santos (3 pts.) def. Sadibou Sy (0 pts.) by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28 and 29-28)
- Louis Taylor (4 pts.) def. Anderson Goncalves (0 pts.) by TKO (strikes) at 1:58 3R
- Rex Harris (3 pts.) def. Andre Lobato (0 pts.) by split-decision (28-29, 29-28 and 29-28)
- Abus Magomedov (6 pts.) def. Danillo Villefort (0 pts.) by TKO (strikes) at 3:37 1R
- Bojan Velickovic (5 pts.) def. Jonatan Westin (0 pts.) by TKO (strikes) at 2:20 2R
Feature Image: Courtesy Professional Fighters League